UAM/CERFA Traineeship Program
(Please read our FAQs here)
The Society of Spanish Researchers in Germany (CERFA/SWBRD) is pleased to announce the launch of the UAM/CERFA Traineeship Program. In its first session, up to 10 trainees/students of the Universidad Autónoma of Madrid (UAM) will make a research Traineeship in laboratories of Germany, with a CERFA member as host scientist.
The goal of these international Traineeships is to further extend skills and competencies of the participants. Trainees will gain deeper knowledge on how-to procedures, increase their employability, and gain international experience, while host scientist will increase managerial and leadership skills. The trainee will be a student enrolled in Bachelor or Master studies at the Faculty of Science of UAM. She/he will be supported within the Mobility Program for Students of the Faculty of Science of UAM and funded by the Erasmus+ Placement Program. Furthermore, the student can be the beneficiary of an extra package of financial support and career information, which is promoted by CERFA and Fundación Ramón Areces: Ayudas CERFA-Fundación Ramón Areces (details here).
Election of the host scientist will be made in a competitive basis on research excellence, training plan, CV of the applicant, and expected impact to the host. Please find all the information about the Erasmus + Program here and read further to know the details about the specific conditions for CERFA members.
Deadline: CERFA members interested in hosting a trainee must apply before February 15th, 2019
Conditions and awards
- Up to 10 host positions are available in the areas of Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science, Physics, Mathematics and Food Technology (the number of summer studentships awarded to each scientific area will be proportional to demand)
- Traineeship can last a minimum period of 2 and a maximum period of 4 months (only the first 3 months are funded by the program)
- Traineeship can take place between 1st June and 30th December 2019 (summer preferred) *
- Grant funded by Erasmus + Program is directly awarded to the trainee and provides only funding for mobility of the trainee (350 Euros/month)
- The trainee will be fully covered with the insurance of UAM and Erasmus Program
- Hosts supervision will be officially recognized by the Science School of UAM. Only in case this supervision includes ECTS credits for the students, the host scientist will be certificated as honorary lecture by UAM
- A host scientist could apply up to 2 trainees. In this case, two independent applications, with different research projects, must be sent
- The matching between the selected host (CERFA member) and trainee (UAM student) will be based on the following steps:
- first, future trainees will choose their preferred destinations among the offer of given projects by the host supervisors (applicants of this call)
- second, UAM will match the specifications from the trainer (time of mobility, degree, experience requirements and willingness to evaluate the performance project) with the specification of the trainees
- third, UAM and CERFA will arrange online interviews for the host and pre-selected trainees
- fourth, in case of more than one trainee has chosen the same host, the host will nominate a minimum of two candidates after the interview
- fifth, UAM will arrange the final matching of these two pre-selected candidates with a host and communicate to the host the final resolution
- The availability of additional/independent funding should be specified in the application form (point 15 in the funding information of application form). If no independent funding is available, applicant must provide support to the project from their Line Manager, Head of Project or PI
- Applicants must confirm eligibility with their German host institutions (point 14 of the application form, specifications and requirements, and fill the acceptance form)
- For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Host eligibility criteria
- The host supervisor must be part of an Institution (located in Germany) sustainable of been elected into the Erasmus + Internship Program**
- This call is open to all PhD (junior and senior) CERFA regular members of the Society that want to act as host for UAM trainees. Non-members can apply only after submitting their membership registration form, providing they have paid their annual membership at the moment of traineeship application. Find out about our different membership fees and please register here
- Applications will be evaluated by a joint Committee composed of members of the CERFA-UAM Program Coordinators and the Board of Directors of CERFA. Members of the Evaluation Committee will not be eligible.
- Evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Training plan (points 4, 5 and 6, of the project description in the application form, evaluated up to a maximum of 35 points in total)
- Research Excellence (point 3 of the project description in the application form, evaluated up to a maximum of 25 points)
- CV of the applicant (evaluated up to a maximum of 25 points)
- Impact of the traineeship in the applicant’s career (point 7 of the project description in the application form, evaluated up to a maximum of 10 points)
- Download and complete the following Application Form and the Acceptance Form, and submit together with a CV (max 2 pages) which includes a link to her/his research profile (ORCID, ResearcherID, Google Scholar, Research Gate or similar) as a single pdf file to email@example.com using with subject: “UAM/CERFA Traineeships 2019: Name of the applicant”
- All documents of the applications must be filled in English
- Once the selection from both sides is done (Trainee and Trainer), before the traineeship starts the UAM and the receiving organisation must sign a Learning Agreement for Traineeship under Erasmus + Program to ensure a transparent and efficient preparation of the exchange abroad
- After the traineeship abroad, the receiving organisation/supervisor should send a Traineeship Certificate to the education institution, normally within 5 weeks after successful completion of the traineeship
- At the end of the traineeship, awarded CERFA Researchers (hosts) must fill an internal evaluation survey that will be sent by mail no later than 5 weeks after completion of the studentship
You can download the word versions as well:
The deadline for UAM/CERFA Traineeship 2019 is February 15th, 2019
* The final dates of the Traineeship can be agreed after the matching period between the student and the supervisor. Please, consider that most of the students would prefer a summer period for the traineeship because they may need to come back to their Sending Institution (UAM) to continue with their studies.
** The host organisation can be private or public. They must be active in the labour market, though, or in the fields of education, training or youth. Ineligible host organisations for traineeships include: EU bodies and other EU institutions, including specialised agencies. Organisations managing EU programs, for example National Agencies